Thursday, January 20, 2011

Bollywood Wedding

During my stay in Bombay I was lucky enough to attend an Indian wedding.  Now I know that weddings in general are pretty much a guaranteed good time, but when it comes to maximizing the fun involved India must take the cake.  Spring break is literally the most comparable event that comes to mind for me.  Of course in this case most people had to work during the day but that didn't seem to phase anyone in my cousin's crew of friends.  I was only here for the 3 day grand finale, but prior to that were four full nights of house parties 'til 4am.  4+3 = a full on, one week party.


The first night I was here, Friday, the wedding party faithfuls took over a local bar/restaurant that seemed to be walking distance from almost everyone's house.  Before this the women spent the afternoon applying mehndi (henna) designs to their hands and feet.  At first I assumed this process was very lengthy and tiring because no women showed up to the bar that night.  That may be half true but in retrospect I realize that this dive bar has absulutely zero appeal to any woman within miles.  I've been there three times so far and the average age is approximately 40 and the average number of women sighted is 0.

Saturday morning those closest to the couple traveled to the local courthouse to legally register Faisal and Kumud as husband and wife.  After finishing the paperwork we moved to a family residence for a brief religious ceremony and food.  Everyone was dressed in their Indian best (even I brought a formal kurta and matching pants for the occassion).  By evening the majority of us were packed onto a chartered bus and taken to a resort in the hills above Mumbai.  Here everyone spent the better part of 36 hours eating, drinking, talking, dancing and singing.  Roughly four hours were reserved for sleeping.

Overall I don't think the bride and groom could have been more charismatic.  They lived up to their role as stars of the show and then some.  They had the DJ going until 3am and had him back on the tables by 9am the next morning.  Even the photographer was partying with us.

By Sunday afternoon I found myself acquainted with nearly all 100 people in attendance and friends with a good half of them.  No one person knew everyone person there and that might be part of what made everyone so welcoming.  As far as I'm concerned this is the only way to do a wedding.

Post-Script:
No pictures because my camera decided to continue its stay at the resort in the hills without me

No comments:

Post a Comment